This area, a railway right of way, was known originally as Cameron Cove and in 1908 was renamed when a swiss man John Nehring unloaded a herd of cows for his dairy from a barge.

Smile's Cafe was established in 1922 as an ice cream and hot dog stand and was named in 1936 after its owner Dolly Nelson who was well known for her wonderful smiles. The Breakers Pub building was erected in 1940 by the Prince Rupert Fishermen's Co-Op Association as a chandlers shop and supply store. In 1985 it was converted to the popular waterfront pub. The Prince Rupert Port Authority converted the old Atlin fish processing plant to a market and dock with a cruise ship facility added in 2004.